Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Motorsport Officials

** Cover image Copyright CAMS. Information presented below is a compilation of information from the CAMS Website and recent personal experiences, and as such may contain inaccuracies.


CAMS Accredited Officials are required to run motorsport events in Australia. Most of the time, these people are volunteers who give up their time to help these events go ahead. In some cases, people perform these roles for a small fee. In order to enable our club to be more self sufficient, and also potentially generate income by running events for other clubs, we need to ensure that we have a group of suitably trained CAMS Officials.

Why do we need officials? Why cant we just go to the track?

Motorsport Events are run under what is called a CAMS Permit. The CAMS Permit is the legal document that allows a potentially dangerous motorsport event to go ahead, and by ensuring that trained people are managing it in accordance with state, national and international regulations and best practices (Such as the CAMS OHS Policy and CAMS National Competition Rules). Permits come in different types for all sorts of different events, such as Road or Rally, AutoKhana or Circuit Racing. Different types of events carry different regulatory requirements, one example is safety equipment. The permit stipulates which type of officials are required to ensure that all regulations are followed.

The permit also provides public liability insurance for the event, so if officials are hurt or property is damaged when something goes wrong, there is insurance to cover it (provided all the rules and regulations were followed and can be proven/documented).

What permit do we use?

The West Australian 86 and BRZ Car Club will generally use a Single or Multi Club Speed Permit. The ‘Speed’ portion of the permit is due to the fact it is a trackday or hillclimb, and not a slow event like an autokhana. A Single Club permit means that all competitors must be a member of the West Australian 86 and BRZ Car Club, where as a Multi Club permit means the competitor can be from any CAMS Affiliated Club. All permits cost money and are part of the event costs. Multi Club permits cost more than Single Club permits.

Is the West Australian 86 and BRZ Car Club CAMS Affiliated?

Yes, we pay a yearly membership fee to CAMS for affiliation. This is what enables our members to get a CAMS Licence for Track Events.

What officials are required?

The Club level permits require the following officials:

  • Clerk of Course – The CoC runs the event, makes final decisions, and is responsible for safe operations.
  • Secretary – The secretary is the event administrator and is responsible for paperwork and communications.
  • Scrutineer – The scrutineer inspects that each vehicle being used is safe for competition and is built within the rules of the event and its particular category.
  • Flag Marshal – A number of flag marshals are required, it is their job to signal on track with coloured flags if there is an accident or emergency. How many are required depends on the track layout, how many cars are competing, and environmental factors like weather.

Optional Officials include:

  • Steward – Stewards are the ‘Justice Enforcers’ and ensure that the event is run following all rules and regulations, and in a fair manner.
  • Timekeeper – In an event where timing and prizes are involved, a Timekeeper is required to be the master of time data.

The following ‘Officals Matrix’ is taken from the CAMS Website:

With the Club level permit, the Clerk of Course and Steward can be performed by somebody trained as a ‘Club Chief’.

If I help out as an official, can I still drive too?

Yes, as long as there is a secondary official of the same role to cover when you are going to compete. The only exception is the Steward, who must always perform their single role.

Does it cost money to become an official?


How can I become an official?

There are a few steps to becoming an official, depending on the specific type of official you wish to train as. You can of course, choose to train as everything if you wish.

  • Step 1 – Complete the CAMS Online Introduction Course
  • Step 2 – Complete the CAMS General Official Online Course to become a General Official
  • Step 3 – Attend a Sunday course at the CAMS office for Club Chief
  • Step 4 – Perform work experience at a CAMS Event as a Steward and Clerk of Course (2 Events) to become a Club Chief.
  • Step 5 – Select further training in Event Command, Stewarding, or Scruitineering to become a Bronze, Silver or Gold.

The following diagram from CAMS shows the learning pathways:

untitled-1 (1)


For more information, head over to the CAMS Officials Training Page or Click Here to sign up as a CAMS Official.